Today in the ArtZany! Radio studio Paula Granquist welcomes musicians and piano teachers Theo and DeWayne Wee.
Click here to listen to the show!
Theo and DeWayne Wee will be playing in the upcoming Cannon Valley Regional Orchestra concert Tell Me a Story! They will play Carnival of the Animals on piano. The Wees came to Northfield in 1966 to teach piano and organ in the music department at St. Olaf College. The Wees were awarded the Northfield Living Treasure Award in 2015. Commission chair, Philip Spensley, notes that over the years since their arrival in Northfield, the Wees “consistently, generously and unstintingly contributed their skills and talents to a wide range of community organizations and events.” They both serve as organists for local churches and have worked with the public schools’ music programs.
The Cannon Valley Regional Orchestra presents a fun and energetic event for all ages,
Tell Me a Story! This family concert will include:
- The Young Lutheran’s Guide to the Orchestra (music by Randall Davidson) with narration by Pastor Bruce Benson,
- Peter and the Wolf (music by Sergei Prokofiev) with narration by Philip Spensley and ballet dances by students from the Cannon Falls School of Dance,
- Carnival of the Animals (music by Camille Saint- Saens), featuring local celebrity musicans Theo and DeWayne Wee on the piano, narration by Patsy Dew, and ballet dances from students in the Northfield Arts Guild’s Dance Theater Company
- The first performance will take place on Saturday, March 5 at 7:00 pm at Northfield Middle School Auditorium in Northfield.
- The second performance will take place on Sunday, March 6 at 3:00 pm at Cannon Falls High School Auditorium. This concert is hosted by the Cannon Arts Board.
Tickets: Advanced purchase tickets are available online (northfieldartsguild.org), by calling 507-645-8877, or stopping at the Northfield Arts Guild (304 Division St.). Tickets for the Cannon Falls concert are also available for purchase at the Cannon Falls Library and the Beacon.
*$30 special “Family and Friends” price: Buy two adult tickets at regular price, and get up to 4 student or senior tickets FREE! Discount will automatically apply when purchasing online. If buying tickets with cash or check at a retail location, ask for the Family and Friends price!*
“Pay-what-you-want” tickets will also be available at the door. Patrons are encouraged to support CVRO through a suggested admission of $15 for adults, $10 for students and seniors, or $30 for a family.