Back in school – Board decides student’s fate updated to include Quinnell statement
It took the Northfield School Board 3 and a half hours last night to determine the fate of Noah Bamonte-Grebis. He’s the 18 year old Northfield High School honor student who had an unloaded bb gun in his locked vehicle on school grounds. In a 3 to 2 vote, the Board chose to allow him back in school. A random sweep on December 18th by a K-9 unit discovered alcohol, drug paraphernalia and the weapon. A hearing was held on Tuesday by an independent hearing officer. School board members Ellen Iverson, Rob Hardy and Margaret Colangelo voted to not expel the young man. Colangelo said, “the School Board members gave VERY thoughtful and researched and informed opinions to the discussion”. Julie Pritchard and Jeff Quinnell voted to expel him. Both were unavailable for comment for this report. Superintendent Dr. Chris Richardson would not comment on the deliberations but did say that there were between 75 to 100 people outside the closed session last night, “and vast majority of those have been students at Northfield High School”. A petition with about 425 signatures by students was given to the School Board on Monday evening. The petition had stated that any student whose car is tagged during a search must unlock it or face expulsion. Richardson said, “that’s actually not correct, there’s nothing in our student policies that indicates failure to consent is grounds. That just isn’t there”. The Board looks at petitions but also the level of understanding of those signing it. Bamonte-Grebis was also cited for drug paraphernalia, a petty misdemeanor and having alcohol under the age of 21, a misdemeanor in the same incident. He had been suspended for 12 days while awaiting the decision. During that time he’s been able to continue school work at home. UPDATE: We just learned Bamonte-Grebis was give a 4th citation in the incident for having a small amount of marijuana, a petty misdemeanor. He was fined for all 4 charges.
Quinnell sent his official statement. Here it is in it’s entirety:
To Whom it May Concern,
Dundas K-Mart to close
The Dundas K-Mart will close mid-April. Corporate Communications Director for Sears Holdings, Howard Riefs, says until then, the store will remain open. A liquidation sale will begin January 24th. The Dundas location made it through the previous round of K-Mart closures when they closed over a hundred stores nationwide. Dundas Administrator John McCarthy said he wasn’t surprised this time as their lease was up. The City was informed on Monday. McCarthy added it was “unfortunate but not unexpected”. He was pleasantly surprised it stayed open for as long as it did. The store has 32 employees, most of which are part-time. Riefs said those eligible will receive severance. Most of the associates are part time/hourly. The company would not comment on exactly how many more stores are closing in this round but they all have to do with leases being up and underperforming locations.
Defining Northfield Economic development analysis will wait
The Northfield Council had asked for an Economic Development Analysis to be presented to them in March. Northfield Community Development Director Chris Heineman was seeking clarity, “there’s just sort of this general economic development analysis discussion with several caveats and directions and… quite frankly, I’m not sure where to go”. There are many possible economic partners in Northfield including those they currently contract with such as the NDDC and the NEC. Peterson White warned not to bite off more than they could chew saying they should narrow the scope. Pownell questioned the timing as they are just about ready to hire a City Administrator AND an Economic Development coordinator. This will come back to Council in another work session after an Admin is hired.
Click below to listen to the 1-15-16 NEWS podcast: