They just fixed up their seasonal cabin after the September storms and last night lost it in a fire. Faribault Fire Chief Dustin Dienst reports that around 7:30 last night, his department along with Rice Co. Deputies, Morristown Fire and North Memorial Ambulance responded to a cabin fire at 17850 Roberds Lake blvd. The structure was fully engulfed in flames when they arrived. The cabin had been winterized for the season and was, gratefully, not occupied. While there were no injuries, the cabin is a complete loss. The cause of the fire is under investigation. The State Fire Marshal’s Office is assisting with the investigation. Chief Dienst commented they’re grateful no
one was hurt and that it is not the principle home of the owner, adding that this is a bit of salt in the wound as they had just repaired the structure.
Decision time for Nfld Council on 2019 Budget and Levy
The Northfield City Council meets tonight. They’ll set the budget and levy for 2019. Currently Staff is recommending a 4.4% increase. They could go up depending on other considerations including a new policy. Paid Parental Leave. Option 1 gives City employees an additional 2 weeks of paid leave for a Beginning of Life Event and/or to Care for a family member. Option 2 allows for 6 weeks due to pregnancy and care for child after birth, adoption, or foster care placement. The estimated per year cost is $23,000 for 2 weeks (which is included in the 4.4% levy) and $62,700 for 6 weeks. A committee was formed to create a Paid Parental/Family Leave plan. The original plan allows 2 weeks paid leave twice a year to employees, providing for new parents and/or care for a family member. This would be on a 2 year trial basis. As for childbirth right now, parents are allowed 2 weeks paid in addition to their FMLA and any sick time and/or vacation time accrued. Also on the agenda is the proposed Charter amendment. That has gone back and forth from the Charter to the Council for a couple of years. This would be the First Reading of an Ordinance that would require the Mayor to report to Council an Operational Audit every 2 years. Meetings begin at 6pm in Council Chambers at City Hall. They are streamed live online on the City’s website and are open to the public. Public comments are welcome on each of the items.
Rice Co. to receive $2 mil in Disaster Assistance
Governor Mark Dayton, yesterday, authorized the use of funds from the State Disaster Assistance Contingency Account for emergency relief in eight Minnesota counties and one tribal nation. Those counties include Rice, which will receive the most funding at over $2 million for public infrastructure and cleanup costs due to the September 20th string of tornadoes. The state will reimburse 75 percent of eligible costs with local governments covering the remaining 25 percent. Steele County will receive the second-highest total of disaster relief funding at $435,155 and Le Sueur County is slated to receive $401,153. Goodhue County’s total was $293,130. The dollars are not available to private homeowners or businesses. Cleanup has stopped for the Winter but there’s much to come Spring.
Day of Mourning for #41 – USPS will be closed
President Trump has declared tomorrow, December 5th, as a national day of mourning to remember the vast contributions of former President George H.W. Bush. To honor the life and legacy of President Bush, the Postal Service will observe be closed. Regular mail will not be delivered and package delivery will be limited.