Suspects identified following Faribault SWAT incident on Saturday

By Rich Larson, KYMN News

Two Faribault residents are in custody following a tense weekend standoff that prompted a regional SWAT response in a residential neighborhood.

Patrick Ian McCrohan, 37, of Faribault, is being held on charges of felony reckless discharge of a firearm, illegal possession of a firearm and violation of a domestic abuse no-contact order. Nichole Ann Newell, 45, of Faribault, was arrested Monday on suspicion of aiding an offender in an effort to destroy evidence. Charges against both have been referred to the Rice County Attorney’s Office.

According to the Faribault Police Department, officers were dispatched at approximately 10:40 a.m. Saturday, Feb. 14, to the 10 block of Division Street West after receiving a report that a firearm had been discharged inside an apartment building.

When officers arrived, they discovered evidence that a bullet fired from one unit had traveled into a neighboring apartment. Authorities said no injuries were reported, but the situation raised immediate safety concerns for other residents in the building.

Police attempted to make contact with the individual or individuals believed to be inside the apartment where the shot originated. Despite signs the unit was occupied, officers were unable to establish communication. Given the uncertainty surrounding the occupants and the potential threat to the public, the department activated South Metro SWAT, a regional tactical team that includes Faribault officers.

As SWAT personnel responded, Division Street was temporarily closed to traffic and an Everbridge emergency alert was issued to residents in the immediate area. Detectives simultaneously worked to obtain a search warrant that would allow officers to enter the apartment if necessary.

By early afternoon, SWAT negotiators were able to reach two individuals inside the unit by phone. At approximately 1:30 p.m., both occupants exited and were detained without incident as tactical officers secured the apartment.

Police said the immediate threat to public safety has been resolved, but the case remains under active investigation. Additional information is expected to be released as the investigation continues.

Rich Larson is the owner and General Manager of KYMN Radio. Contact him at rich@kymnradio.net

Related Posts

Local Events

Hispanic Heritage Celebration

Saturday, September 13, 2025 @ 11:00 am – 4:00 pm – Everyone is invited to a day-long celebration of Hispanic culture during the Hispanic Heritage CelebrationThis event kicks off Hispanic Heritage Month. A pre-event Zumba class starts at 9:00 a.m. to get everyone warmed up. The festival starts at 11:00 a.m. with a parade of flags. Throughout the day, there will be live music, dancing, entertainment, […]

View Event »

Homegrown Harvest Dinner (Cannon River SFA)

Saturday, September 13, 2025 @ 5:00 pm – 7:00 pm – Homegrown Harvest Dinner: A Feast for the Future of Local Farming September 13, 2025 • Ferndale Market • Cannon Falls, MN Fresh flavors, live music, and community spirit will be on the table at the Homegrown Harvest Dinner on Saturday, September 13, 2025, hosted by the Cannon River Chapter of the Sustainable Farming Association (SFA) […]

View Event »